Wednesday 20 May 2015

Socks for Soldiers

From the Hull Daily Mail, 20th May 1915

SOCKS FOR SOLDIERS: C.O.'S INTIMATION.


TO THE EDITOR OF THE "DAILY MAIL."
SIR,-It has come to my knowledge that men under my command have been asking for socks through the medium of your paper.

We all know the generosity of the public in times of stress like these, but I should like them to know that the men who asked for these articles are well supplied with necessaries, and that when they have worn them out fresh socks are issued to them by the Quartermaster.  The public are, therefore, requested to take no notice of such appeals unless made officially.

I am, Sir, etc.,
H. R. PEASE. Colonel, Commanding 12th (S.) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment.
The Camp, Dalton Holme. 19th May, 1915.

[More muddle over whether or not the official supply of socks was enough.] 

1 comment:

  1. In my own experience handmade socks are much preferred over the socks the US Army issued to me. "Comforts" indeed.

    ReplyDelete